Welcome to Family Health Hospital.
A 24 hour private hospital uniquely located along the beach (Opposite Kofi Annan International Peace Keeping Training Centre, Teshie) off La-Teshie Beach Road, Accra, Ghana.
We provide comprehensive healthcare services, Nursing School and a Medical School in our environs and beyond Ghana as a whole.
Family Health Hospital was established in 1993 under the Companies Code 1963, Act 179 to provide diagnostic, laboratory and medical services to both corporate and individual clients. It started operations from a rented premise at Zoti Road, Latebiokoshie but now operates from its own premises at Teshie, opposite Kofi Annan Peace Keeping Centre at Ledzokuku Krowor Municipality.
Family Health Hospital is located in between La General Hospital and Lekma Hospital and now has a 70 bed capacity.
It has requisite medical expertise, human and material resources to provide quality services to clients.
The objective of the hospital is to provide timely, efficient and effective healthcare services to its clients, striving to reach the many people across the length and breadth in Ghana in which it serves. It strives to be a centre of excellence in health care delivery in the Lezorkuku Krowor Municipality and beyond, providing efficient health services in a friendly atmosphere.
Our Vision is to be a choice provider of comprehensive and quality 24-hour medical care in Ghana, Africa and beyond.
Our Mission is to be a Centre of excellence in providing affordable comprehensive medical treatment and preventive healthcare to men, women and children, by employing the most current practices, and the best medical professionals whilst ensuring high ethical standards and value for money for all client/patrons and all time.
Medical Services we provide at our Hospital.
General Medical services
24 Hours Out-Patient and In-Patient services
Corporate In-House Clinics
IVF Services (test tube babies)
Obstetrics and Gynaecology
healthcare insurance we accept
Family Health Hospital accepts insurance from a wide range of companies nationally and internationally. They include:
Acacia Health Insurance | Apex Health | Beige Care | Cosmopolitan | Glico | Metropolitan Health | Liberty Mutual Health | Nationwide Mutual Healthcare | Premier Mutual Health | Universal Health Insurance.
Bupa International | Medical Services Organization (MSO).
Consultation and Operations
To find out more about our various operating days and medical services routine, Please click Here.
You can find all our past and upcoming events, news and publications here.
View Our Blog
Family Health University College
Opposite Kofi Annan International Peace Keeping Training Center.
The eye centre at Family Health Hospital is a specialist optometry and ophthalmology centre dedicated to the examination, diagnosis and management of eye diseases. A patient who visits the centre will first see the optometrist or primary eye care doctor. He/she may be referred to see an ophthalmologist for further examinations. To enhance correct diagnosis for effective treatment, our doctors would want to know more about your past eye history, family eye history, past medical history, past family medical history, your hobbies, drug history, allergies as well as social history.
Our Eye Health Services include:
- Comprehensive Eye Exams : Involving; checking patients vision, checking eye pressure (intraocular pressure or IOP), binocular vision assessment, refraction.
- Education and Counseling on vision needs of patients
- Sale of Quality affordable Modern Designer Frames and lenses
- Low Vision Assessment: When vision deteriorates to an extent where glasses, medications or surgery cannot improve vision, it is termed low vision. The optometrist will assess how you can go about your daily activities with low vision aids.
- Referral to other Specialists to promote overall general well being.
- Red or Pink Eye treatment: It is a thing of the past to report pink eyes to your physician. See an optometrist/ophthalmologist for evaluation of pink eyes.
- Management of Ocular Diseases: Including Glaucoma, Diabetic /Hypertensive Retinopathies and Cataracts.
- Computer Vision Syndrome (CVS): Do your eyes feel tired with prolonged computer use? Do you get burning sensation whiles reading from your laptop? If you answered “YES” to any of the above, talk to your Optometrist.
- Pediatric Eye Exams: It is very prudent to present kids for examination for early detection of conditions such as squint, congenital cataracts and congenital glaucoma.
- Dry Eye Treatment
- Eye Emergencies: Super glue eye injuries, chemical injuries to the eye, etc must be reported to eye doctors.
- Glaucoma Screening: Glaucoma testing involves examination of the optic nerve (The nerve that joins the eye to the brain) head with an instrument called ophthalmoscope, measuring the internal eye pressure, taking a Visual Field Test (VFT) or Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) test.
- Cataract Surgery: I hope you have heard about the leading cause of preventable blindness called Cataract. Cataract surgery involves removing the natural lens of the eye that has become opaque or cloudy and replacing it with an artificial lens. Phacoemulsification and Small Incision Cataract Surgery (SICS) are methods used in the extraction.
- Pterygium Excision: Do not worry about the lesion or growth on your eye that becomes red and painful. Our ophthalmologist will excise and you will be comfortable.
- Geriatric Care: Do you know age is a risk factor for eye conditions such Cataract and Glaucoma? At Family Health we give priority to the elderly /aged and we care for them with respect and patience.
We undergo eye screenings at Schools, Churches and Institutions.
Monday through Friday Time: 8:30AM to 2:30PM
Wednesdays 2:30PM to 6:00PM
NOTE: Eye Clinic is closed on Public Holidays
Well Women clinic
The Well-Women clinic within our Center offers comprehensive mental health and wellbeing services to women in childbearing and mid-life years. In addition to optional individualized pharmacotherapy, our Psychosocial Interventions Service offers psychotherapeutic strategies that target women and men’s mental health issues associated with menstrual cycle, fertility, pre-natal, postnatal, and menopause transition difficulties. Our Perinatal Psychiatry Service offers preconception and perinatal counseling to help women with psychiatric illness prepare for the healthiest pregnancy possible. This service works collaboratively with the Antenatal and Postnatal services of the hospital.
Well Men clinic
The Well-Men clinic offers comprehensive mental health and well-being services to men during young adult to mid-life years. We offer a whole-body care and health recovery services to our esteemed patients to ensure optimum health and well-being.
Well Men clinic
IVF (TEST TUBE BABIES)
FHH Assisted Reproduction Technology Center (Fertility Clinic) is an ultramodern, state of the art fertility center, equipped with the latest technology in fertility care. Our main philosophy is to ensure that all our clients are served to the best of our ability and also to their utmost satisfaction. The fertility center has a team made up of specialists and highly trained fertility professionals that are specialized in the diagnosis and efficient treatment of couples having conception problems be it male or female factor infertility. Our fertility team includes Gynecologists, andrology specialists, highly trained and experienced embryologist and specially trained fertility nurses.
Our IVF Laboratory has the most modern equipment that ensure the delivery of specialized services as listed below:
• In vitro fertilization (IVF)
• Intra Uterine Insemination (IUI)
• Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI)
• Testicular sperm extraction( TESE)
• Testicular sperm aspiration (TESA)
• microsurgical epididymal sperm aspiration ( MESA)
• percutaneous epididymal sperm aspiration( PESA)
• Semen Analysis according to latest WHO standard
• Oocyte freezing
• Embryo freezing
• Sperm freezing
• Frozen embryo transfer
The choice of any of the above treatment procedures depends on the couple’s history or the cause of the fertility problem.
Intra Uterine Insemination (IUI)
Intrauterine insemination (IUI) is the simplest form of the reproduction techniques assisted and involves the deposit of prepared sperm into the uterine cavity of the patient using a mild catheter. It may be done using your natural menstrual cycle or following mild ovarian stimulation. The procedure is painless and just like the natural cycle; the sperm is deposited in the uterus, to enable the passage of sperm directly into the uterus to fertilize the eggs released. The procedure is timed to coincide with ovulation and to increase chance of conception.
On the morning of insemination your partner will produce a fresh sperm sample which is washed and prepared in the laboratory at least 2 hours before the insemination.
Insemination of the prepared sperm is timed around when the egg is released into the fallopian tube, following the administration of HCG to enable the eggs complete their maturity.
In general IUI is proposed in cases of unexplained infertility, premature ejaculation and cases of mild sperm abnormality.
In vitro fertilization (IVF)
In Vitro Fertilisation (IVF) is a treatment in which eggs are fertilized by sperm outside the human body in a petridish in the IVF laboratory. The fertilized eggs are allowed to grow in the laboratory before being transferred into the woman’s uterus (womb) after 2, 3 or 5 days. It is the treatment of choice for women with blocked, damaged or absent fallopian tubes but is also used in cases of mild to moderate sperm abnormalities or the infertility is unexplained
In an IVF procedure, Injections of follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) are taken from the start of the cycle to stimulate growth of follicles in your ovaries, and when the follicles are matured the eggs are collected then put together with the sperm in the laboratory petridish to allow fertilization to take place. The fertilised eggs are allowed to grow in the laboratory for 2, 3 or 5 days days before being transferred into the woman’s womb (uterus)
Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI)
ICSI is a special form of IVF in which a spermatozoon is selected and injected into the egg under the guidance of an ICSI microscopic. This is the treatment of choice for couples where the sperm quantity and/or quality are very poor, failed fertilization following normal IVF and presence of anti-sperm antibodies. ICSI offers couples real hope of having their own genetic child/ children.
ICSI is also used when sperm is obtained through surgical procedures such as TESA, TESE, MESA, and PESA.
IVF is a long procedure which starts with a screening test for the couple on the third day of the menses. Below are simple steps of the IVF procedure.
1. Blood screening of the couple and semen analysis on Day 3 of the woman’s menstruation will be done.
2. Couple to see Gynecology specialist in IVF after one week of blood test with results.
3. If everything is OK, a counseling section will be held to walk you through the procedure after which consent forms are signed.
4. Your IVF will then be planned base on your schedule.
5. The daily injections are started on the 21st of the menstrual cycle. ( In the case of a egg donor protocol, the cycles of the donor and the recipient will be synchronized first by using oral contraceptive before we start with the injections)
6. Daily injections will continue after the next menstruation with additional drugs.
7. Egg retrieval will be done when follicles are matured.
8. 2 to 5 days after Egg retrieval, Embryo transfer will be done.
9. Pregnancy test is done two weeks after Embryo transfer.
Below are some of the success stories of FHH IVF
Obstetrics & gynaecology
Family Health Hospital offers one of the best obstetrics and gynaecological services in Ghana. We are a leader in offering the absolute best care to both mother and newborn.
A few of the reasons why so many families choose Family Health Hospital:
Family Health Hospital was the first hospital in the world where bloodless myomectomy (removal of fibroid through ceasarean section) with tourniquet was done by Prof. E. Y. Kwawukume. It is also a renowned hospital for bloodless myomectomy (removal of fibroid without blood transfusion).
Our industry certified obstetricians and specially-trained nurses specialize in helping ensure a healthy baby while creating a warm and supportive environment.
We offer today’s newest concepts in helping newborns thrive, including innovative mother-baby bonding techniques.
Spacious, private rooms offer a serene atmosphere for recovery of mother and child; a sitting area complete with sleeper sofa—to create the perfect setting for you and those close to you.
If needed, our highly respected Neonatal Unit—staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week offers state-of-the-art care and remarkable outcomes for the tiniest of patients.
We are a nationally designated a “Baby-Friendly Hospital”, an accolade that recognizes our nurses, physicians, and lactation specialists commitment to giving you the confidence and skills to successfully breastfeed.
24Hr ambulance services
Family Health Hospital has a well equipped ambulance that offers services to our clients and the general public. Our well trained drivers are always on hand to convey patients for referrals and also from home.
diagnostics & Laboratory
The laboratory department comprises qualified Biomedical Scientists and skilled technicians who seek to serve the community 24/7. It is equipped with ultra-modern equipment designed to produce quality results. We have a phlebotomy department and we run routine and special laboratory tests such as:
- Renal function tests
- Liver function tests
- Cardiac enzymes
- Hormonal assays (Leutenicing hormones, Thyroid function tests, Follicle Stimulating hormone, Estrogen etc).
- Routine labs in microbiology
- Culture and sensitivity in microbiology
- Hemoglobin Electrophoresis
- G6PD (Glucose 6 Phosphate dehydrogenase)
- Serological tests (HIV Screening , Hepatitis B Screening, VDRL etc.)
- Routine labs in haematology
The hospital has a canteen that serves healthy and delicious meals to patients, staff and the general public at very affordable prices. Our menu include:
- Rice & Stew
- Banku and Okro Soup
- Fried Rice and Chicken or fish
- Kenkey and Fish
- Fufu and Soup
The Pharmacy Department of Family Health Hospital provides a 24 hour- quality, prompt and affordable pharmaceutical services to clients from all over especially those within the Teshie and its environs. The services are to both in-patients and out-patients most of whom are on the National Health Insurance Scheme.
The Department shares in the vision of the hospital to be acknowledged as a friendly institution where quality of healthcare is always assured.
To promote health and vitality through the provision of quality, prompt and affordable pharmaceutical care.
GOALS & OBJECTIVES
The goals and objectives are, among other things; To ensure that essential medicines are always available. To ensure that medicines are accessible and affordable to our clients/patients To promote rational prescribing, dispensing and administration of medicines To improve the efficiency of services through availing staff for in-service training on good pharmaceutical care practices.
THE STRUCTURE OF THE DEPARTMENT
The department operates basically under two units with most of the activities of one overlapping the other. Each of the unit is under the direct supervision of a Pharmacist whose responsibility it is to ensure the efficient running of the unit. There is also the office of the Pharmacy Superintendent which oversees all the activities of the section including its administration. The units include: i. Stores & Inventory Control unit ii Main Dispensary unit Operations: The main dispensary unit controls the dispensing of drugs to both in-patients and out-patients. The unit supplies drugs and other medical appliances to the various departments thus; Hypertensive & Diabetic Clinic, Eye Clinic, antenatal & gynecology clinics, Physician Specialist etc as well as the Fertility Centre. The daily activities of the unit involves the serving of prescriptions, patient counseling and education, treatment interventions, wards medication assessments, provision of drug information to other healthcare team among others. .